Miller Canfield has a broad-based Bankruptcy, Restructuring and Insolvency practice, representing all types of parties in their debtor-creditor relationships. We're consistently ranked as one of the top restructuring practices in Michigan.
Our lawyers have developed a variety of skills and expertise, allowing us to anticipate the philosophies and motivations of diverse parties in their restructurings, workouts and other debtor-creditor dealings. Our expertise extends beyond borders. Our offices throughout North America, Europe and Asia allow us to provide clients with seamless and consistent service throughout the world.
Among the services we provide are:
- Local Government Restructuring: We are uniquely positioned to assist municipalities, creditors and other interested parties because of our extensive experience in handling municipal financings in Michigan. Our experience includes serving as co-counsel to the City of Detroit in the largest Chapter 9 case ever filed.
- Distressed Supplier Negotiations: We have been extensively involved in virtually every auto industry-related bankruptcy case in the U.S. and Canada in the last decade, representing the interests of a large American automobile manufacturer and several Tier 1 auto parts suppliers.
- Creditor Committee Representation: We have represented numerous creditor committees from a variety of industries, including automotive, retail, packaging, building supply and paper products. Our knowledge and expertise in all aspects of Chapter 11 cases – from financing motions to asset sales – allow us to effectively advocate the positions of unsecured creditors throughout the case.
- Litigation: We also have broad and extensive experience in bankruptcy litigation representing defendants and plaintiffs in preference, fraudulent transfer and dischargeability proceedings in bankruptcy courts across the country.
- Workouts and Reorganizations: We represent debtors, creditors, trustees, bondholders and asset purchasers in a variety of financially distressed situations including bankruptcy cases and out of court liquidations and receiverships. Our clients include large public corporations as well as a wide variety of small businesses and individuals.
- Distressed Loan Portfolios: We represent institutional and private equity clients throughout the United States and Canada in matters related to the acquisition, management, enforcement and divestiture of distressed loan portfolios. Our transactional experience includes negotiating and facilitating the purchase and sale of loans in lots from 1 to 500+, documenting modifications of existing loans and providing creative and economical solutions to real estate and title issues. Litigation and workout experience includes loan enforcement and collections, judicial and non-judicial foreclosures, receiverships and creditor representation in Chapter 7, 11 and 13 bankruptcy cases.
- Cross-border Insolvencies: Miller Canfield’s lawyers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Europe and Asia have extensive experience acting for clients in complex international insolvencies and restructuring matters.
- City of Detroit Chapter 9 Bankruptcy Restructuring
- Bison Building Supply - Committee for Unsecured Creditors
- Chesapeake Energy Litigation
- Multi-State Real Estate Developer Debt Representation
- Committee and Secured Lender Bankruptcies
- Automotive OEM Bankruptcies and Workouts
- National Mortgage Company Forbearance/ Workout Transactions
- Lender and Borrower Asset-Based Lending Deals
- ISDA Swaps and Derivatives Transactions
- Energy Company Back Royalty Payments/Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Protection
- Defending Preference Actions
- Enhancing Creditor Recoveries Efficiently
- Expanding Interpretation of When Creditors Deserve Reimbursement for Bankruptcy Participation
- January 17, 2017
- May 21, 2012
- November 2011
- March 2011
- February 16, 2011
- June 2010
- June 2010
- June 2010
- June 2010
- April 2010
- Understanding and Safeguarding Your Position in Dealings with Financially Troubled Customers and Suppliers in the U.S. (Chinese)January 2009
- Understanding and Safeguarding Your Position in Dealings with Financially Troubled Customers and Suppliers in the U.S. (English)January 2009
- October 22, 2008