Medicinal Cannabis: A Legal Briefing for Illinois Licensees
Illinois businesses who have received licenses to cultivate and/or dispense medicinal cannabis in the state are invited to this complimentary legal briefing in Miller Canfield’s Chicago office or by webinar. A light lunch will be served.
Miller Canfield attorneys Dionne Hayden, Jeffrey Drake and Larry Woodard will discuss important issues for business owners. They will cover:
Brand Protection: Names, Logos and Formulas
• How do I build, maintain and protect my marijuana brand?
• Can I protect my marijuana brand by obtaining a trademark?
• How can I protect my proprietary marijuana formula?
• An employee with access to my proprietary formula just quit and is going to work for a competitor – now what?
Effective Employee Agreements, CUMMPPA Compliance and Best Employment Practices
• How do I hire employees that comply with CUMMPPA and other applicable state laws?
• How do I create effective and enforceable employment and non-compete agreements?
• How do I develop state law complaint practices and policies for my employees?
• Employees vs. independent contractors – what are the best practices?
Real Estate Leases, Zoning Issues and Your Neighbors
• Is the sale or cultivation of medicinal cannabis a nuisance, noxious or offensive use under my lease?
• What terms should I negotiate in my lease to allow the sale or cultivation of medicinal cannabis – to avoid issues down the road?
• How do I structure my real estate interest to protect assets?
• What zoning and property issues will I confront if purchasing property for distribution or cultivation?
• How do I combat neighbors who may object to a cannabis distribution or cultivation center?
• What operational structures should I implement to avoid landlord or neighbor lawsuits?