Miller Canfield Ranks First in Michigan for Municipal Bond Work in 2009
The law firm of Miller Canfield announces that it again ranks first among Michigan bond counsel law firms in the 2009 Bond Counsel Rankings by Thomson Financial, recognizing the law firm for 103 long term new bond issues totaling $3.851 billion. The firm has been the number one-ranking bond counsel in Michigan every year in the ranking’s 30-year history. Nationally, the firm was recognized for 116 long term new bond issues totaling $3.956 billion.
Miller Canfield’s public finance practice consists of nearly 30 lawyers—the largest group of municipal finance specialists in Michigan—specializing in capital projects and infrastructure improvements, economic development projects, municipal securities representations, environmental response projects, government and regulatory affairs, hospitals, housing, and local, state and federal tax.
Miller Canfield wrote opinions in 2009 on municipal bonds and notes in Michigan for purposes that included:
• City of Dearborn Recovery Zone Redevelopment Bonds
• Revenue Anticipation Notes for the City of Detroit
• Qualified School Construction Bonds and Build America Bonds to construct new buildings and additions, remodel existing buildings and new instructional technology equipment for the School District of the City of Detroit
• Acquiring and remodeling a private college’s former campus to be used for Grand Rapids Community College
• School improvements for Utica Community Schools, Kalamazoo Public Schools, Mona Shores Public Schools and Grand Haven Area Public Schools, including technology infrastructure and energy conservation improvements
• Capital leasehold improvements in the City of East Lansing SmartZone
• Tax Anticipation Notes for Wayne County
• Airport Revenue Bonds for improvements for the Wayne County Airport Authority
• Drainage District improvements for the Gilbert & West Town Intercounty Drain in Ingham County, the Bunce Creek & Huffman Drain in St. Clair County, the Cox-Doty & Branches and Stein Drain in St. Clair County and the Gerick Drain in Monroe County
• Water supply system upgrades for Benton Harbor, Coldwater, St. Clair County, Richmond Township, Munising, Gogebic Range Water Authority, Port Huron, Dearborn, Kalamazoo, Lake City, Howell, Ypsilanti, Ypsilanti Township, Saline, Redford Township, Monroe, Jackson, Houghton, Ionia, Marshall and the Saginaw-Midland Municipal Water Supply Corporation
• Sewer system improvements for Marysville, Meyer Township, Village of L’Anse, Iron River, Franklin Township, Crystal Falls, Village of Alpha, Zilwaukee, Isabella County, Genesee County, Huron Township, Monroe County, St. Ignace, Big Rapids, Fenton, Iron Mountain , Dundee, Howell, Maybee, Grosse Pointe, Port Austin Area Sewer and Water Authority, Dexter, Fraser, Center Line, Buchanan, Ionia, Houghton and Niles
• Electric utility improvements for Coldwater and Wyandotte
• Sanitary sewage treatment plant improvements for Zeeland and Kalamazoo
• Road improvements for Howell, Elk Rapids, Redford Township, East Lansing, Kalamazoo and Washtenaw County Road Commission
• A new parking deck for Traverse City
• Recreation improvements in Macomb Township
• Equipment financings for East Jordan, Milford, Dundee and Monroe
• Building improvements for Ionia Community Library, Albion and East Lansing
The law firm of Miller Canfield offers businesses, governments, nonprofits, individuals and families a broad array of integrated legal and business services in over 55 areas. With Michigan roots for 158 years and a global reach for two decades, the firm has 370 lawyers throughout offices in Michigan, Illinois, Florida, New York, Ohio, Canada, Mexico, Poland and China.