Miller Canfield Offers Seminars to Discuss Impending Employee Free Choice Act
Miller Canfield will present seminars throughout Michigan in January to help employers understand the possible ramifications of the Employee Free Choice Act, and to suggest steps to prepare in the event the legislation becomes law.
With Democrats in control of the White House and Congress, organized labor confidently predicts that the Employee Free Choice Act will be a top 2009 domestic priority of the Obama Administration.
Passed by the House in 2007 but stalled in the Senate, the Act would make union organization much easier and faster, would probably make bargaining a first contract harder, and could dramatically change the labor relations landscape for private sector employers. While it is impossible to predict the form in which it would pass, observers expect new labor-friendly law–affecting any private sector employer that is union-free or partially-unionized—to pass Congress in early 2009.
The Miller Canfield Employee Free Choice Act seminar schedule is:
- TROY – Thursday, January 8, 2009 – Somerset Inn
- SAGINAW – Tuesday, January 13, 2009 – Sheraton Four Points
- ANN ARBOR – Wednesday, January 14, 2009 – Kensington Court
- DETROIT – Thursday, January 15, 2009 – Westin Book Cadillac
- LANSING – Thursday, January 22, 2009 – Radisson Hotel
- KALAMAZOO – Thursday, January 22, 2009 – Radisson Hotel
- GRAND RAPIDS – Wednesday, January 28, 2009 – Amway Grand Plaza
The seminar begins with registration and continental breakfast at 7:30 a.m., with the presentation from 8:00 a.m.-10:00 a.m. Cost is $25 per person with advance reservations. If you have special accommodation needs or questions, and to RSVP, contact Virginia Herrick at email@example.com or call 313.496.7548. Click here to register online.
This program has been approved for 2.0 (general) recertification credit hours toward PHR, SPHR and GPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI).