Miller Canfield Announces Addition of 10 Strategic Hires in Chicago and Michigan
Miller Canfield, a Detroit-based global law firm, has announced that it has added 10 well-known and respected attorneys to the firm’s Michigan and Chicago offices. The strategic hires included top talent from across the spectrum of legal professionals, from the courts, non-profits and large and small law firms. The announcement was made by Miller Canfield CEO Michael McGee.
“We are fortunate to have such a distinguished group of highly skilled and respected lawyers joining us,” McGee said. “These additions to our firm position us to provide the excellent legal services across the spectrum of areas of expertise where our clients need us most.”
Additions to the firm’s Michigan offices include:
- Philip Hamilton, who was formerly assistant general counsel with TriFound Financial LLC, has joined the Kalamazoo, Michigan, office of Miller canfield as a senior attorney in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution group. He resides in Portage, Michigan.
- Senior Counsel Christina Marshall, a former Summit County, Ohio, assistant prosecutor, and most recently an attorney at the Sutter O’Connell firm in Cleveland, has joined the Product Safety practice in Miller Canfield’s Troy, Michigan, office. Marshall has tried criminal and civil cases and has successfully argued in front of the Supreme Court of Ohio and the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Also in the Troy office, Zlatina (Tina) Georgieva has joined the Product Safety practice as a senior attorney. Georgieva, a Rochester Hills resident, was with Bowman and Brooke in Detroit, where she practiced product liability litigation, class action and multidistrict litigation. Her practice encompassed multidistrict litigation, serial product liability cases and single-incident loss cases in the United States and Canada.
- James M. Crowley and Alan D. Szuma, formerly with Clark Hill, have joined Miller Canfield’s Public Finance group as principals. They will both work in the Detroit office. They have maintained a robust school finance practice, representing school districts, charter schools and other educational institutions in Michigan. Crowley is a resident of Birmingham, Michigan. Szuma lives in Beverly Hills, Michigan.
- Jeff Aronoff is rejoining Miller Canfield’s Public Finance group as a principal after a three-year absence, during which he headed the nonprofit D:hive, and launched Sidewalk Ventures, which helps businesses find and secure non-traditional funding sources. Aronoff has worked on challenging projects such as the restructuring and redevelopment of Cobo Hall. He lives in Huntington Woods, Michigan.
New hires in the Chicago office include:
- Principal Matthew F. Logan, a former partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson LLP in Chicago, joined Miller Canfield’s Corporate group. He focuses his work on commercial transactions such as mergers, acquisitions, commercial finance, real estate and corporate restructuring. He is a resident of Harvard, Illinois, and serves on the professionals board of directors for Imerman Angels, a non-profit in Chicago that provides mentor support to people fighting cancer, and to their caregivers.
- Principal Jacob Koering, formerly a partner at Freeborn & Peters, joined Miller Canfield’s Litigation and Intellectual Property groups. A resident of Elmhurst, Illinois, Koering is a registered patent attorney who has litigated more than 45 patents, and has engaged in litigation in a wide variety of technical areas.
- Principal John M. Valentine, formerly a partner at the boutique real estate firm Pircher, Nichols & Meeks in Chicago, has joined Miller Canfield’s Real Estate group. His work includes complex real estate transactions nationwide, across a broad range of real estate, including multifamily, industrial and office properties. He resides in Wheaton, Illinois.
- Former presiding judge of the Cook County Circuit Court Criminal Division, Hon. Paul P. Biebel, who retired in July from 20 years of service on the bench, has joined the firm as of-counsel. Biebel has an exemplary record in the Chicago legal community, having served with distinction in a number of positions over a celebrated career.
The additions to the firm are part of a strategic growth plan, and support Miller Canfield’s reputation for client service excellence.
“With client service delivery as the driver, these legal professionals reflect our ongoing commitment to recruiting the very best talent available, from varied professional backgrounds,” McGee said.