- Intergovernmental Agreements
- Legislative Drafting
- Public Law - Powers, Open Meetings + FOIA
- Public/Private Partnerships
- Sustainable Government Initiative
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1982
- University of Michigan, M.P.P.,1983; A.B., 1979
Michael P. McGee
Principal and Chief Executive Officer
Michael McGee was elected Chief Executive Officer of the firm in April 2013. In this role, he oversees the firms 17 offices in five countries.
Prior to becoming CEO, Mike was a senior member of Miller Canfield's Public Finance group, with primary responsibility for general obligation and revenue bond issues amounting to more than $3.5 billion. With two academic degrees in public policy in addition to law, he brings a unique perspective to his broad legal experience in structuring transactions.
Mike has served as bond counsel on behalf of cities, counties, townships, authorities, and governmental entities of all types, and as underwriters' counsel in hundreds of transactions covering all areas of public infrastructure finance. In addition, he has negotiated complex intergovernmental agreements for a wide variety of clients, including major economic development projects and related legislation.
- Represented a Michigan county in both formulating legislation and crafting the public-private intergovernmental agreement between two counties, four cities, and three townships to establish an aerotropolis aimed at attracting logistics, transportation and manufacturing firms to transportation hubs and other regional facilities.
- Acted as bond counsel on a $1 billion financing for airport improvements.
- Crafted legislation enabling creation and financing of a regional convention authority.
- Represented cities in respect of local government emergency management laws.
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- State Bar of Michigan, Public Corporation Law Section, Board Member
- Michigan Municipal League
- Michigan Townships Association
- Michigan Government Finance Officers Association
- Michigan Association of County Administrative Officers
- Michigan Association of County Drain Commissioners
- Public Administration Foundation of Michigan
Honors + Awards
- University of Michigan Law School, Editorial Board, Michigan Law Review, 1980-82
- Michigan Municipal League, Special Award of Merit, 2011 Outstanding Service Award
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments, Regional Ambassador Award
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Bonds/Government Finance 2006-present; Top 100 Michigan Super Lawyers 2008-2009
- Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law 2010-present
- DBusiness Magazine, Top Lawyers, Municipal Law and Public Finance 2011
Civic, Cultural + Social Activities
- Detroit Regional Chamber, Board of Directors 2013-present
- Michigan Saves, Board of Directors, 2011
- Citizens Research Council of Michigan, Board of Directors, 2011
- Turnaround Management Association, Michigan Chapter, Board of Directors, 2011
- Detroit Regional Chamber, Leadership Detroit XIV Graduate
- Rotary International Foundation, GSE Member
- Southeast Michigan Council of Governments (SEMCOG), Past vice-chairman
"PACE programs, growth of green building due diligence take spotlight," (Co-authors Mark J. Bennett and Eric M. Jamison), Michigan Lawyers Weekly, April 19, 2010
"Intergovernmental Cooperation—Myths and Realities," Michigan Municipal Review, July/August 2010
"Brave New World: The Changing World of Municipal Finance," Public Corporation Law Quarterly, State Bar of Michigan, Spring 2010
"The Lawyer and the Bridge: How a Public Corporation Lawyer Saved the Mackinac Bridge," Public Corporation Law Quarterly, State Bar of Michigan, Summer 2007
"Government Entities Brace for an Accounting Tidal Wave," Hot Points, Fall 2006
"Financing Stormwater Facilities – or - Through the Looking Glass, Again," Michigan Municipal Review, July/August 2003
"Ethics," a chapter within the Michigan Municipal League’s Handbook for Municipal Officials, most recently published in 2003
"Emergency Management as an Alternative to Bankruptcy," 2013 ABA Annual Convention, San Francisco, Calif, August 10, 2013
"Understanding Tax Increment Finance: The Legal Basics," 2010 Economic Development Finance Conference, Detroit, Mich, March 30, 2010
Seminars + Events
- Emergency Manager Laws as an Alternative to Bankruptcy in Local Government
- Emergency Manager Law
- Cappuccino with Counsel: Climate Law and Policy Mid-Year Briefing
- Economic Development Finance Conference
- Miller Canfield CEO Mike McGee Appointed to Detroit Regional Chamber Board of Directors
- In the News: New Miller Canfield CEO Charts Higher Legal Course
- Miller Canfield Lawyers to Discuss Emergency Manager Laws at ABA State and Local Government Section Meeting
- Miller Canfield Announces New CEO
- Miller Canfield Lawyer Mike McGee Speaks at The Bond Buyer’s Symposium on Distressed Municipalities
- Miller Canfield Lawyer Michael McGee Appointed to Board of Citizens Research Council of Michigan
- Miller Canfield Lawyer Michael McGee to Serve on Boards for Turnaround Management Association & Michigan Saves, Inc.
- VIDEO: Sustainable Government - A New Era of Cooperation
- Miller Canfield Lawyer Michael McGee Honored with Michigan Municipal League's Outstanding Service Award
- Ready for Takeoff: Michigan Legislature Passes "Next Michigan Development" Tax Incentive for Detroit Region Aerotropolis