- Cash Flow and Working Capital
- Education Finance
- Governmental Facilities and Equipment
- Higher Education
- Hospitals and Other Nonprofits
- Related Government Services
- Bolt Reviews
- Educational Services
- Elections and Campaigns
- Governmental Litigation
- Governmental Powers, Open Meetings and FOIA
- Intergovernmental Cooperation Agreements
- IRS Audit Service and Arbitrage
- Local Government Restructuring
- Millage Planning
- Special Assessments and User Fees
- Swaps and Derivatives Structuring
- Student Loans
Miller Canfield attorneys assist governmental entities with financing of facilities and equipment, from state departmental buildings and colleges and universities to municipal and county buildings. We offer clients:
- Consultation on legal options for borrowing and methods of repayment
- Preparation of necessary resolutions, notices, agreements and other documents for authorizing, issuing and marketing the bonds
- Advice on disclosure documents and obligations under federal securities law in connection with the marketing and sale of municipal securities
- Analysis of bond-related tax issues
- Legal opinions on validity and tax exemption issues
- Analysis of legal accuracy of certain information in offering documents
Miller Canfield is recognized nationally as a leader in public finance and the largest group of municipal finance experts in the State of Michigan. With lawyers in Michigan and Illinois, we’re known for our work in financing capital projects and infrastructure improvements, economic development and environmental response projects, as well as government and regulatory affairs, housing, litigation, employment and labor, and local, state and federal tax matters.
- Ranked as “first-tier” nationally for Public Finance Law in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Law Firms 2014.”
- Ranked first in the Midwest and 16th nationally among bond counsel firms in the 2012 Municipal Markets Review by Thomson Reuters, with 128 long-term new bond issues totaling $5.7623 billion.
- The same publication recognized us as the top bond counsel in Michigan, a distinction we’ve held for more than 30 consecutive years.
- Included in The Bond Buyer’s 2012 “Deal of the Year,” for our work as co-bond counsel for the Michigan Finance Authority’s refinancing of Michigan’s entire federal unemployment insurance loan.
“This was a transaction that was big, precedent setting and AAA all around. It provided a template for subsequent deals, a low cost of capital and benefits for both the public and private sectors,” said Gavin Murphy, editor in chief of The Bond Buyer.
- Included in The Bond Buyer’s 2011 Small Issue “Deal of the Year” for our work as bond counsel for Michigan’s issuance of $9.5 million of financial recovery bonds to the City of Ecorse.
- Miller Canfield Secures Court Order Stopping Enforcement of Law Barring Objectively Neutral Speech by Public OfficialsFebruary 5, 2016
- New Law Limits Ability of Local Governments and School Districts to Communicate Regarding Ballot QuestionsJanuary 8, 2016
- August 27, 2015
- Michigan Governor Signs Early Warning Legislation for Financially Distressed School Districts with Immediate EffectJuly 9, 2015
- July 6, 2015
- June 25, 2015
- June 15, 2015
- January 29, 2015
- January 16, 2015
- October 28, 2014
- Community Colleges Must Report Debt Revenue Loss By Friday Under Michigan Personal Property Tax ReformSeptember 2, 2014
- New SEC Initiative Offers Municipal Issuers and Underwriters an Exit Strategy for Continuing Disclosure ViolationsMay 28, 2014
- April 15, 2014
- April 15, 2014
- March 3, 2014
- March 3, 2014
- Michigan Election Law Amendments Will Require Ballot Language to be Certified Two Weeks Earlier than Previously RequiredFebruary 27, 2014