- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
- Of Counsel
Headquartered in Detroit, a global center of manufacturing, we have considerable experience enforcing and defending our clients’ rights through international arbitration and litigation.
We Lead the Field
We serve as arbitrators in both institutional and ad hoc arbitrations.
We teach the practice of international arbitration to law students, experienced lawyers, judges and even arbitration specialists.
We have held leadership positions in the American Bar Association, American Society of International Law, the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, the International Bar Association, and the Institute for Transnational Arbitration.
We regularly publish books and articles on international arbitration. One book represents a first-in-its-field volume on international construction arbitration. Another article received the prestigious Smit-Lowenfeld Award in 2012.
Our peers frequently invite us to speak on international arbitration topics at local, state, national, and international venues.
We Handle Disputes in Every Forum
We have presented or defended a wide range of arbitration claims, conducted under most institutional rules, in every major region of the world.
- Matters have included energy disputes, intellectual property disputes, construction and engineering disputes, merger and acquisitions disputes, as well as disputes involving sales agency and distribution agreements.
- Conducted in Europe, North America and Asia, the arbitration proceedings have involved application of the AAA, ICC, SCC, and SIAC rules.
- Amounts in controversy have ranged from a few million to several hundred million U.S. dollars.
We have also handled international litigation matters involving discovery in the United States for use in foreign proceedings (and vice versa), enforcement of arbitration agreements, and judicial review and enforcement of arbitration awards, at the trial and appellate levels.
We Are Trusted Advisers
Most importantly, we advise clients before disputes arise. Specifically, we provide deal-specific advice on dispute resolution provisions in a manner that advances the strategic objectives of our clients.
We Have a Global Client Base
Despite our U.S. roots, we routinely represent companies from other jurisdictions, most commonly from Canada, China, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Poland, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.
- In an ICDR arbitration we successfully defended a $1/3 billion claim involving the largest reserve of brown coal in the world. The reserve was located in New South Wales, Australia. The parties were energy companies located in Australia, Canada, and the United States.
- After a full hearing in London in an ICC arbitration, we defeated a bet-the-division intellectual property claim brought against a U.S. engine manufacturer by a Swiss corporation headquartered in the Isle of Jersey, UK.
- We were retained to take over the defense of a German automotive interior manufacturer in a multi-million dollar sales agency dispute brought in the ICC and seated in London. The client had already lost on the merits, and we successfully limited the claimant’s recovery in a week-long damages hearing in London.
- After a full hearing in Stockholm, Sweden, we defeated a multi-million dollar intellectual property claim arbitrated under the Swedish Arbitration Act.
- We convinced the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit to order that a terminated distributor’s claims under the Illinois Beer Industry Fair Dealing Act be arbitrated in Poland. We then obtained an arbitration award dismissing those claims, which was confirmed by the U.S. courts.
- We currently are defending a multi-million dollar agency claim in the Singapore International Arbitration Centre.
- In an ICC arbitration seated in New York, we successfully defended a wide-ranging dispute over business interests located in Germany, Venezuela, Argentina, Mexico and the United States.
- We successfully represented the Swiss Arbitration Association and the American Arbitration Association as amici curiae in Gulf Petro Trading Co. v Nigerian National Petroleum Co., 512 F.3d 742 (5th Cir. 2008), involving a collateral attack upon on international arbitration award.
- We were appellate counsel in Stawski Distributing Co. v Zywiec Breweries, PLC, 349 F.3d 1023 (7th Cir. 2003), in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit enforced a contract requiring arbitration in Poland, notwithstanding the fact that Illinois law required arbitration in Illinois, and despite the fact that the substantive claim involved alcoholic beverage regulation reserved to the states by the 21st Amendment.
- We were appellate counsel in M&C Corp. v Erwin Behr GMBH & Co., KG, 143 F.3d 1033 (6th Cir. 1998), in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit held that an order remanding an international arbitration award to the arbitrator was immediately appealable.