- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1985
- University of Michigan, B.B.A. 1982
Ronald E. Hodess
Principal; Real Estate Group Leader
Ronald E. Hodess is the Practice Group Leader of the Real Estate Group for the firm. Ron brings practical expertise to legal transactions often involving large-scale real estate and construction projects. His track record also includes representing national and foreign corporations on hundreds of millions of dollars worth of economic development incentives for various projects throughout the NAFTA region.
Ron’s commercial real estate expertise includes real estate finance, construction law, commercial leasing, and all aspects of commercial development. He also handles procurement, negotiation and consulting on state and local economic development incentives and tax abatements. For the construction industry, his expertise includes construction law, construction risk management, construction contracts, architect agreements, construction claims and liens, bonding, surety law, insurance issues and bidding issues.
Ron is recognized in Chambers USA, which states he "leads the group and often advises on complicated multi-state, multi-million dollar development and construction projects where clients appreciate his 'excellent attention to details.'"
He has worked on over $10 billion worth of real estate construction and development projects throughout the U.S.
Ron and his team helped a client save over $49 million in state, county and local tax incentives in a case he considers particularly rewarding because it allowed the client to achieve its goals while providing positive economic impacts to the community.
- New Markets Tax Credit Project
Structured, negotiated and closed $60 million leveraged Federal New Markets Tax Credit transaction involving five Community Development Entities.
- New Manufacturing Plant Development and Construction
Handled the development and construction of a new state-of-the-art manufacturing plant involving over $500 million in capital investment located in South Carolina, including Federal, State and local incentives.
- Manufacturing Plant Expansion Project
Represented corporate real estate group in obtaining over $68 million in grants, tax abatements, tax credits, and recovery zone economic development bonds for manufacturing plant located in North Carolina.
- Energy Company Greenfield Plant Development
Represented manufacturing company in obtaining over $58 million in tax abatements, job training grants, and other incentives for new alternative energy related facility. Also handled lease acquisition and construction contracts for project in Kansas.
- Manufacturing Company Leasing and Construction Portfolio
Represented Fortune 100 company on national real estate portfolio including over $1 billion in leases, construction, and economic incentive projects.
- Airport Finance and Construction Project
Represented construction manager in connection with construction of Detroit Midfield Terminal airport project.
- National Construction Manager Renovation Project
Represented construction manager on $350 million office building renovation project located in Michigan.
- National Corporation Real Estate Representation
Representation of national corporation in connection with over $2 billion of real estate owned, leased, and constructed throughout the United States.
- Public Utility Company Sale/Leaseback
Representation of public utility in connection with sale/leaseback of $100 million of power plant equipment.
- Sports Arena Finance and Construction Project
Representation of the construction manager in connection with construction of Ford Field football stadium located in Detroit, Michigan.
- Sports Facility Construction and Financing
Representation of the owner/developer in connection with design construction and project financing of Comerica Park baseball stadium located in Detroit Michigan.
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate, and Trust Law Section; Construction Law Forum
- State Bar of Michigan, past Chair, Special Committee on Construction Law; Real Property Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association, Real Estate Section
Honors + Awards
- Named to "Leaders in the Law - Class of 2013" by Michigan Lawyers Weekly, March 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction, Real Estate Law 2006-present
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Real Estate 2006-present
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers, Real Estate, 2005-present
- DBusiness Magazine, Top Lawyers, Real Estate 2011
Civic, Cultural + Social Activities
- The Friendship Circle, Executive Committee; Board of Directors
- Autism Alliance of Michigan, Board of Directors
- Autism Society of America, Oakland County Chapter, past Co-chair, Annual Fundraiser
- JARC (Jewish Association for Residential Care), past Board of Directors
- Leadership Oakland IV, Oakland County, Michigan
- Jewish Community Council, past Member Board of Directors
- Autism Insurance in Michigan (AIM), Co-Leader
"Design-Build Construction Contracts," Hot Points, Fall 2001
"Real Estate Development Incentives," Hot Points, Summer 2001
"New Land Development Law," Hot Points Summer 1997
"Third Party Legal Opinions: The Next Generation," (Co-author), Michigan Real Property Review, Fall 1992
"Plain Language in Title Insurance Policies," Michigan Bar Journal, February 1990
"Revisions to the ALTA Title Insurance Policy Forms," Michigan Bar Journal, Spring 1988
"Real Estate Law," (Guest Lecturer), Ross School of Business, University of Michigan, September 2009
Michigan Bankers' Association Seminar on Financing Urban Redevelopment, (Panel member), April 1993
"Lender Environmental Liability: EPA Rules Create New Guidelines for Secured Lenders," Risk Management Association, August 1992
Seminars + Events
- Corporate Real Estate Review Series: Corporate Site Selection Planning and Incentives
- Cappuccino with Counsel: The Dynamic World of Real Estate and Economic Development Incentives: Past, Present and Future
- Cappuccino with Counsel: Buried Treasure - Uncovered Opportunities in Commercial Real Estate