Manufacturing is one of the largest and diverse industry sectors represented by Miller Canfield lawyers worldwide. Building on our proven automotive platform, we help manufacturers in many industries, from consumer and industrial products to medical devices and equipment, with their domestic and international legal needs.
Our team assists with commercial transactions and contracts, supply and licensing agreements, Greenfield investment, environmental matters, intellectual property protection and prosecution, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, foreign direct investment, economic incentives, tax, international trade issues, including customs and export controls, product safety, recalls and warranties, multi-state and country regulations, real estate, bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring, litigation and international dispute resolution, regulation and compliance and labor, unions and employment.
We have industry teams in these two fast-growing sectors:
Defense and Aerospace
Globalization has led to the development of a complicated web of regulations involving several different agencies of the U.S. government, and other countries as well. Successfully navigating the landmine-filled regulatory landscape requires lawyers that understand the defense and aerospace industries as well as the agencies that enforce these regulations.
We represent several multinational defense, national security and aerospace technology clients with various issues, including:
- Compliance with International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and other U.S. and foreign export controls
- Mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including export control due diligence on acquisition targets
- Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) compliance
- Employing foreign nationals subject to export controls
- Negotiating government contracts, including interpretation and compliance with:
- Federal Acquisition Regulations (FARs)
- the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation System (DFARS)
- Other governmental procurement regulations
- Filing and pursuing bid protests before the Government Accountability Office (GAO), Court of Federal Claims and procuring agencies.
- Asserting and preserving intellectual property rights against the government
- Resolving prime/subcontractor disputes.
Food, Beverage and Agri-Business
From farm to fork to growler, from the Great Lakes to the Great Wall, Miller Canfield's food, beverage and agriculture business clients include family farms, industrial and consumer food producers, craft brewers, international investors, wholesalers, distributors, trade associations, franchises, retailers and grocers.
Clients benefit from the international interdisciplinary team of lawyers focused on the complex legal, business and industry needs of entities that operate in the highly regulated food, alcoholic beverage and agri-business industries. These include:
- State, federal, provincial, and international regulations
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Immigration, labor and employment
Our team helps clients with other important issues impacting the international food chain, including:
- Trademarks and trade secrets
- Environmental matters
- Trade and customs
- Export controls and import regulations
- Food and product safety
- Product recalls
- Regulatory agencies including the FDA, MDEQ, LCC, OSHA and others
- Lease, purchase, development and sale of real estate
- Estate planning
- Canadian Manufacturer Robot Technology U.S. Export Controls Classification
- Automotive Supplier Office, Warehouse, and Manufacturing Leasing Portfolio
- Manufacturer Commercial Litigation
- Worldwide Patent Portfolio Management
- Multinational Manufacturer Trademark and Unfair Competition Litigation
- Software Manufacturer IP and Commercial Tort Litigation
- Canadian Manufacturer Sales Commission Litigation in U.S.
- Manufacturers Sales Commission Litigation