J.D., Loyola University of Chicago School of Law, 2001
B.A., University of Michigan, 1997
John M. Valentine advises clients in all aspects of complex real estate transactions throughout the United States, with an emphasis on representing institutional capital sources in connection with acquisitions and dispositions of real property, financings (both traditional and alternative), asset management, leasing and development.
John’s experience includes a broad range of real estate types, including multifamily, warehouse/industrial, golf course, data center, senior housing and office properties. He represents buyers and sellers in the acquisition and disposition of commercial property, counsels borrowers and lenders in connection with the financing of real property, advises owners and operators in connection with development, management and leasing of urban and suburban properties, and represents capital sources in the formation and documentation of real estate joint ventures.
- Disposition of various asset portfolios owned by a private equity investment fund, including:
- 13 multi-family assets in 6 states containing approximately 4,800 apartment units with an aggregate value of $554 million;
- 8 senior housing properties in 3 states with an aggregate value of $400 million;
- 25 private and public golf course assets in 7 states with an aggregate value of $230 million;
- 10 self-storage facilities in 2 states with an aggregate value of $122 million; and
- 20 industrial/warehouse properties in 2 states with an aggregate value of $89 million.
- Acquisition, financing, vertical subdivision, re-development and multiple re-financings of a 41-story office building in the Chicago Loop by an institutional investor.
- Acquisition and financing of an historic Chicago residential hotel by a private investor with a value of $60 million.
- Acquisition and financing of various multi-family properties for an institutional real estate investor with an aggregate value of $75 million.
- Negotiation and administration of a joint venture agreement in connection with a land assemblage for a mixed-use building to be developed in Washington, D.C. by a private equity investor and a local developer.
- Refinancing of a $2.5 billion securitized loan (with a mortgage and multiple mezzanine tranches) secured by a portfolio of 95 industrial/warehouse properties for a private equity investment fund and subsequent representation of its various subsidiaries in connection with asset management and loan compliance matters during the term of the loan.
- Representation of an institutional owner of real estate in connection with all leasing aspects for a high-rise office building and a suburban office complex.
- Acquisition of multiple parcels in several states for development into data centers by cloud services provider.
- Negotiation of suburban distribution warehouse lease for large on-line retailer.
Loyola University Chicago School of Law, magna cum laude; Loyola University Chicago Law Journal, lead articles editor.
Illinois State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Loyola University Chicago School of Law