Western Michigan University, B.B.A.
Loyola University of Chicago Law School, J.D.
New York University, LL.M in Taxation
- New York
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit
U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois
U.S. Tax Court
Gerald Kubasiak represents privately and closely held businesses from Chicago and around the globe in a broad range of business-related legal matters. Building on his 40-plus years in private practice, he also provides strategic planning in complex transactional matters involving aggrieved parties.
Recognized by his peers as an Illinois “Leading Lawyer” for his vigorous representation of privately held businesses, his practice focuses on the acquisition and disposition of businesses, as well as ongoing management issues, preparation of shareholder agreements, employment agreements, stock option agreements, and related tax, estate and succession planning.
Gerald's transactional practice typically involves “problem” corporate and tax issues. These include shareholder- and partner-related ownership disputes, employment issues, retirement benefits and tax issues. He also represents fiduciaries and beneficiaries in contested estates and trusts.
His clients include a wide variety of businesses, including construction companies, professional service practices, manufacturers, technology firms, professional fiduciaries and foreign-based companies doing business in the United States.
He has also been retained to provide expert testimony on various issues including the “standard of care” for a transactional lawyer. He is also a widely published author within the legal community and noted speaker on business entity, estate planning, tax and real estate topics. His byline has appeared in The International Lawyer, the Journal of Taxation and the Chicago Bar Record, as well as in an Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education (IICLE) real estate publication. He’s also appeared as a panelist in programs for the American Bar Association, the Chicago Bar Association and IICLE.
In 2011, he was appointed by the governor as a judge for the Illinois Court of Claims.
For more than 40 years have represented clients in all aspects of business ownership and operations including corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies and joint ventures in various matters including:
- All aspects of formation including shareholder agreements, sale restrictions, valuation methods and stock options.
- Business acquisitions and sales for both asset transactions and stock transactions.
- The purchase and sale of businesses by and to key employees.
- Structuring key operational agreements including customer supply contracts, distribution and representation agreements as well as employment agreements.
- Have continuously represented European based companies doing business in the U.S.
- Represented clients in multi-generational changes in ownership.
- Successfully planned and implemented estate plans which have passed family businesses through successive generations without causing a disruption in the business.
- Represented a variety of clients in disputes over the ownership or value of closely-held or family businesses, these include:
- Represented a trust and its beneficiaries who were minority shareholders in regarding a corporate reorganization designed to modify their interest.
- Represented acknowledged but illegitimate children in a dispute over their father’s estate and the ownership of a substantial real estate business.
- Represented the one child of a decedent in a dispute with her stepmother over control of the estate which included a substantial real estate rental business.
- Represented a widow in her dispute with her sister-in-law over the valuation of her husband’s interest in the family business.
- Represented a son in his dispute with his father over the control of the family business.
- Represented a husband in his dispute with his wife over control of the business and the valuation and purchase of the other’s stock.
"Understanding The Legal Aspects of International Business", 12th Annual Silk Road Conference, sponsored by Central Asian Productivity Research Center, Chicago, Il, April, 2016
Webinar: Measure Twice; Merge (& Acquire) Once, Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago, IL, August 4, 2015