Miller Canfield has represented national, regional and local banks and financing institutions since the firm was founded in 1852.
Our firm has approximately 80 attorneys who routinely work on finance, public finance and insolvency/restructure matters. The Banking and Finance Group is located in the U.S. and Canada and licensed in Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, Texas, Arizona, California and Ontario, Canada, is one of the largest dedicated lending groups in Michigan.
With international offices in Canada, Mexico, Poland and Shanghai, Miller Canfield is uniquely positioned to offer lending clients one-stop shopping for credit transactions with cross-border, NAFTA, European and Asian lending and collateral components. The Banking and Finance Group attorneys utilize a multi-disciplined team approach to providing financial industry clients with assistance in the following lending areas:
- C&I and Asset-Based: We represent Michigan and national lenders in meeting their customer’s working capital needs.
- Real Estate: We provide representation for lenders with respect to investment, acquisition, development and construction financing - whether utilizing economic incentives such as New Market, Historic Rehabilitation and/or Brownfield Redevelopment tax credits or traditional lending criteria. Additionally, we represent national private equity firms in the divestiture of thousands of loans purchased from the FDIC’s receiverships of failed institutions in Michigan.
- Cross-Border/International: With a view of Canada from our Detroit offices, we provide representation for U.S. banks lending in Canada and attorneys routinely document secured credit transactions in Canada and Mexico.
- Environmental Services: We provide primary representation to one of the U.S.'s leading environmental services lending Agent routinely documenting senior secured acquisition financing for this growing industry.
- Aircraft Financing: Recognized aircraft lending experts in the U.S. and Canada since the implementation of the Cape Town treaty in 2006, we have guided clients through more than 150 aircraft financing transactions.
- EX-IM: With attorneys trained specifically under the EX-IM Bank training program in Washington D.C., we are primary EX-IM lending counsel for area banks under the Working Capital Guarantee and Fast Track programs.
- Letters of Credit: Often in collaboration with Miller Canfield’s industry-leading Public Finance Group, the Banking and Finance Group has significant experience representing letter of credit providers in bond financing and other letter of credit transactions.
- Specialty: We counsel our banking clients on ESOP-structured transactions, SBA 504 and 7(A) financing, hospital and school financing and act as underwriter counsel in taxable and tax exempt financing. We also routinely counsel banking clients on treasury management products and interest rate swaps.
- Ex-Im Bank Supported Financing
- Commercial Loan Origins
- Historic Theatre Redevelopment Loan
- Bridge Loan Converting to Term Loan
- Working Capital Financing
- International Financing
- Lending Practice Litigation - Financial Institution
- Real Estate Financing Supported by Tax Credits/Incentives
- Syndicated Financing
- Working Capital/Asset-Based Financing
- Savings Institution Proxy Contest/Related Litigation