Miller Canfield attorneys represent several public entities with employment issues, contracting, compliance and reporting. We understand the unique issues and regulations with which public entities must comply and have assisted them in doing so.
Among the areas we assist clients with are:
- Public employer labor relations for school districts, colleges and universities, with issues including teacher tenure, Right-to-Work, civil rights and all issues before the Michigan Employment Relations Commission;
- School law compliance, including both public school districts and private institutions, with issues dealing with Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, student discipline, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, teacher tenure and Title IX provisions;
- Affirmative action plans, whether your organization is developing a new plan or simply updating an existing one;
- Issues involving the federal Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs, including challenging OFCCP jurisdiction, audits, and other concerns arising from the use of government contractors;
- OSHA and MIOSHA;
- Election law including bond and millage elections;
- Freedom of Information Act compliance, and;
- Open Meetings Act compliance.