Miller Canfield Ranks First in Michigan for Municipal Bond Work in 2008
The law firm of Miller Canfield announces that it again ranks first among Michigan bond counsel law firms in the 2008 Bond Counsel Rankings by Thomson Financial, completing 123 long term new bond issues totaling $4.08 billion. The firm has been the number one-ranking bond counsel in Michigan every year in the ranking’s 29-year history.
Miller Canfield has the largest group of municipal finance specialists in the state of Michigan. The firm is known for its work in financing capital projects and infrastructure improvements, economic development and environmental response projects, as well as government and regulatory affairs, health care, housing, litigation, labor and employment, and local, state and federal tax.
In 2008 Miller Canfield wrote opinions on 123 municipal bond issues in Michigan, including bonds for:
• Water supply system upgrades for Ionia, Ypsilanti, Scio Township, Monroe, Dundee, Wayland, Milford, Hancock, Stockbridge, Germfask and New Lothrop
• A new school for Portage Public Schools
• Large remodeling programs for Trenton Public Schools, Saginaw Township Community School District and Dexter Community Schools
• Three financings for remodeling, energy conservation and security improvements for the School District of the City of Oak Park
• A new library for Novi and a new district court for Livonia
• Michigan’s School Loan Revolving Fund
• Sanitary sewage treatment plant improvements for Monroe, Saginaw Charter Township, St. Ignace and Clarence Township in Calhoun County
• Renovation and construction of water conditioning plants and water transmission and distribution lines for the Lansing Board of Water and Light
• Restructuring of variable rate debt for the Wayne County Airport Authority and Western Michigan University
• Sewage disposal system upgrades for Dundee, Chesaning, Marquette and Saginaw Charter Township
• Road improvements for Superior Township, Monroe County Road Commission, Dundee, Wayne, Kalamazoo, and Plymouth
• Downtown street and streetscape improvements for Dexter, Elk Rapids, Fowlerville, Marquette, Scio Township and Wayland
• Recreation improvements for Birmingham, Kalamazoo, and Wayne
• Hospital facility improvements for Kalkaska County Hospital Authority
• Various improvements for city facilities in East Lansing
• A commercial paper program for Michigan State University
• Refinancing existing debt for Kent Hospital Finance Authority (Spectrum Health), County of Calhoun Hospital Finance Authority (Oaklawn Hospital), and City of Iron River Hospital Finance Authority (Iron County Community Hospitals, Inc.)
• New hospital for Mackinac Straits Health System, Inc.