- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 1999
- Grand Valley State University, B.B.A. 1990
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Third Circuit
- Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Courts
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- Northern District of Ohio
- Eastern District of Wisconsin
- Northern District of Illinois
Todd A. Holleman has a broad base of litigation and appellate practice experience in state and federal courts. He has the ability to isolate issues that get the court’s attention and make concise and persuasive arguments that a court finds convincing.
Todd has specific expertise in defending retail securities brokers and brokerage firms against claims by customers in arbitration held before the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the American Arbitration Association (AAA). He also has expertise in defending against and pursuing claims by brokerage firms related to the violation of noncompete and nonsolicitation agreements.
Todd also has extensive experience in representing commercial entities and business in defending against and pursuing claims related to complex business contracts, including supply agreements governed by the Uniform Commercial Code; defending against and pursing claims for the payment of sales commissions, and defending against and pursuing claims arising from shareholder derivative actions or corporate control and governance disputes.
Todd defended a brokerage firm along with two of its brokers against claims made by a disgruntled investor. After months of having the case pending and a three-day arbitration, he prevailed on their behalf and obtained an order from the arbitrator dismissing the claims and vindicating the clients who had done nothing wrong and had suffered through months of having been wrongfully accused.
Todd’s case files also include:
Representing general contractors against claims by subcontractors for payment from a defunct owner or from other defunct subcontractors and representing general contractors making claims against payment and performance or surety bonds.
Defending against claims of bankruptcy trustees against officers and directors of the bankrupt company, including claims for breach of fiduciary duty, negligence and fraud.
Finally, Todd has substantial experience in working to enforce payment obligations under equipment leases and enforcing both foreign and domestic judgments in Michigan and Ohio.
- American Bar Association, 1999-present; Appellate Practice Committee, Co-Chair 2007-2010; Programming Subcommittee, Co-Chair; 2004 Outstanding Subcommittee Chair; Securities Litigation Committee; Advance Planning Leadership Committee 2010-present
- Federal Bar Association, 2008-present
- State Bar of Michigan, 1999-present
- State Bar of Ohio, 2000-present
- Detroit Metropolitan Bar Association, 2005-present; Inns of Court 2012
- Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association
Honors + Awards
- Michigan State Bar Foundation, Fellow
- BTI Client Service All-Star Team, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation 2013
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star 2008
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Business Litigation 2013
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Named one of five "2004 Up and Coming Lawyers"
- Intern--Honorable Lawrence P. Zatkoff, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- Assistant Editor, Wayne Law Review, 1998-99
Civic, Cultural + Social Activities
- North Farmington West Bloomfield Little League, Coach, 2005
- Volunteer Host, Selfridge Air National Guard Museum, 2003-2007
- Grand Valley State University Alumni Association, Vice-president, Metro Detroit Chapter, 1998-99
- Brightmoor Christian Church, Board of Deacons, 2007-present; Member, 2004-present; African Mission Trip Team; Christmas and Easter Stage Productions
- North Hills Christian Reformed Church, Council Vice-president, 2002-03; Elder, 2000-03; Integration Committee; Chairperson, 1999-2001
"To appeal or to settle? That is the question." Hot Points, Summer 2008
"Cases on Appeal Present New Opportunities to Settle," Midwest In-House, March 2008
"Settlement of Cases on Appeal," ABA Section of Litigation Appellate Practice Journal, Winter 2008
"Win-Win Michigan: SEC Whistleblower Program," (Video, with Matthew Allen), Crain's Detroit Business, July 2013
"Litigating a Memorandum of Understanding/Letter of Intent," (Panelist), The Pitfalls of Cross Border Joint Ventures Transaction and Litigation Risks, Union of International Advocates, Park City, UT, March 1, 2010
"May It Please The Court: Oral Advocacy Do's and Don'ts," Moderator, Litigation Section, 2009 American Bar Association Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, April, 2009
"Understanding the Legal Process," National Association of Credit Management's Credit Congress and Exposition, Las Vegas, NV, June 2007
"Punitive Damages after Philip Morris USA v. Williams," Program Moderator, Litigation Section, 2007 American Bar Association Annual Conference, March 2007
"What the Movies Teach about Appellate Advocacy," Panelist, American Bar Association, Section of Litigation, August 6, 2006
"Report from the Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) 2007 Seminar, Miller Canfield Before the Bell Breakfast Forum for Registered Representatives, April 26, 2007
"Marbury v. Madison II--The President's Power to Detain and Prosecute Prisoners in the War on Terrorism," Chairperson, American Bar Association, 2004 annual meeting
"Chat Rooms and Instant Messaging," Miller Canfield Before the Bell Breakfast Forum for Registered Representatives, November 11, 2004
"Internet Resources for Registered Representatives," Miller Canfield Before the Bell Breakfast Forum for Registered Representatives, May 13, 2004
"Current Developments on Sarbanes-Oxley," Miller Canfield Before the Bell Breakfast Forum for Registered Representatives, February 12, 2004
"Sarbanes-Oxley: If the Sox Don't Fit, You Must Acquit!," Miller Canfield Before the Bell Breakfast Forum for Registered Representatives, August 14, 2003
Seminars + Events
- Before the Bell Breakfast Forum: Suitability Update
- Before the Bell Breakfast Forum: Report from SIFMA (Securities Industry + Financial Markets Association)
- Webinar: The SEC Is Coming, Are You Ready? How To Handle A Regulatory Examination or injury
- Before the Bell Breakfast Forum: The Changing Rules - Suitability, Know-Your-Customer and Social Media
- Before the Bell Breakfast Forum: A Report from SIFMA (Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association) C&L Annual Seminar
- Before the Bell Breakfast Forum: Report from SIFMA (Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association)
- Before the Bell Breakfast Forum: The Changing Face of Regulation in the New Administration