- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2006
- Cornell University, B.A. 2003
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit
- Third Circuit
U.S. District Courts
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- Northern District of Indiana
Paul Hudson specializes in complex commercial litigation and white-collar criminal defense, with an emphasis on federal and state appeals. Paul holds a leadership position on the American Bar Association’s Appellate Practice Committee. He is one of three Michigan lawyers appointed by the Chief Judge of the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to serve on the circuit's Advisory Committee on Rules.
Before joining Miller Canfield, Paul served as a law clerk for the Honorable Raymond M. Kethledge of the 6th Circuit.
- Automotive Supplier Warranty Dispute
Successfully represented a large automotive supplier in a $50 million warranty dispute.
- Individual Criminal Defense Appeal
Briefed and argued a criminal-procedure issue of first impression in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
- Defense Contractor Whistleblower Case
Conducted internal investigation of a defense contractor relating to allegations of fraud by a whistleblower.
- Agricultural Supplier Whistleblower Case
Conducted internal investigation of a large agricultural supplier relating to allegations of fraud by a whistleblower.
- Federal Habeas Corpus Petitioner Appeal
Briefed and argued complex habeas corpus appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Individual Federal Criminal Trial
Obtained a not-guilty verdict on the sole contested charge as co-counsel in a federal drug-distribution and firearms jury trial.
- Law Firm Fraud and Malpractice Dispute
Won dismissal of multi-million-dollar fraud and malpractice claims against a foreign law firm.
Reported + Published Decisions
Jackson v. Sedgwik Claims Claims Management, __ F.3d __ (2013) Successfully defended a worker's compensation claims administrator against allegations of civil RICO violations. Case was decided by Sixth Circuit en banc.
MacDonald v. Thomas M. Cooley Law School, _F.3d_ (2013) Successfully represented a law school in a purported $300 million class action brought by graduates alleging fraud and violations of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act.
Rudisill v. Ford Motor Co., 709 F.3d 595 (6th Cir. 2013) Successfully argued an appeal involving a claim brought under the Ohio intentional-tort statute arising out of a factory accident.
Mack Trucks Inc. v. BorgWarner Turbo Systems, Inc., 508 F. App’x 180 (3d Cir. 2012) Successfully represented a turbocharger supplier against a $50 million warranty claim brought by a large truck manufacturer.
Thomas M. Cooley Law School v. John Doe 1, 833 N.W.2d 331 (Mich. App. 2013) Represented law school in an appeal setting the standard in Michigan for discovery of the identity of an anonymous internet defamation defendant.
Michigan One Funding, LLC v. MacLean, 2012 WL 4210424 (Mich. App. 2012) Argued appeal involving retention of confidential documents by a company executive after termination.
Kennedy v. Warren, 428 F. App’x 517 (6th Cir. 2011) Briefed and argued a complex habeas corpus appeal involving changes to Confrontation Clause law.
People v. Klees, 2011 WL 2342707 (Mich. App. 2011) Briefed and argued a criminal-procedure issue of first impression in the Michigan Court of Appeals.
United States v. Wallace, No. 10-cr-20664 (E.D. Mich. 2012) Obtained a non-guilty verdict on the sole contested charge as co-counsel in a federal drug-distribution and firearms jury trial.
Urban Global v. DibbsBarker, 2011 WL 2802904 (E.D. Mich. 2011) Won dismissal of multi-million-dollar fraud and malpractice claims against an Australian law firm.
- American Bar Association, Appellate Practice Committee, Membership Chair
- Sixth Circuit Advisory Committee on Rules, Member
- State Bar of Michigan Litigation Newsletter, Editor-in-Chief
Honors + Awards
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly, Up and Coming Lawyers, 2013
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Appellate, Rising Star 2011-present
- Georgetown University Law Center, cum laude
- Georgetown Law Journal, Editor
- The Annual Review of Criminal Procedure, Primary Editor
- Cornell University, Government/Philosophy; Varsity Baseball Team
Civic, Cultural + Social Activities
- Duffy Daugherty Memorial Award, Board of Directors
"Commentary: Federal government steps up criminal enforcement of immigration laws against employers," (Co-author), Michigan Lawyers Weekly, December 21, 2012
"Defending Employers When ICE Puts the Heat On," (Co-author), The Champion, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, January/February 2012
"Understanding the Changes to the Rules of Civil Procedure: Amendments Move E-Discovery to the Forefront of Civil Litigation," (Co-author), 2 CONSUMER FIN. L. Q. REP. 229 (2007)
Seminars + Events
- Using Friend of the Court Briefs to Protect Your Organization
- Cappuccino with Counsel: Winning Your Appeal