- Wayne State University Law School, J.D., 2006
- University of Michigan, B.A. 2003
U.S. Court of Appeals
- Sixth Circuit
U.S. District Court
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- Northern District of Illinois
Michael Simoni’s practice covers all areas of business and commercial litigation.
By focusing on providing comprehensive analyses of difficult legal and business issues, Michael strives to advance the most appropriate course of action for various clients in complex commercial cases. He has experience in litigating a wide variety of general commercial and business matters, with focuses in trademark, copyright and patent litigation, and securities law.
Prior to joining Miller Canfield, Michael clerked for the Honorable Lawrence P. Zatkoff of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. His clerkship experience provides a unique insight into the judicial decision making process that allows Michael to effectively and efficiently advocate for his clients.
Michael has experience in dealing with a host of federal issues, including commercial disputes, employment discrimination, securities fraud, patent, trademark and copyright infringement, and various procedural matters at both the trial and appellate level.
Michael has also gained expertise in the admissibility of expert testimony at trial and has authored and responded to numerous Daubert challenges in state and federal court.
- Package Delivery Service Contractor Dispute
Managed large scale document collection and review in claims of fraud, breach of contract and unjust enrichment by package carriers against billion-dollar package-delivery company and successfully obtained partial summary judgment against multiple plaintiffs on statute of limitations grounds.
- Securities Broker Fraud and Fiduciary Duty
Defended broker and brokerage firm against claims of securities fraud, misrepresentation, churning investment accounts, breach of fiduciary duties and breach of contract, and obtained a judgment of no cause of action following full arbitration hearing.
- Securities Broker Expungement Dispute
Successfully obtained court order directing Financial Industry Regulatory Authority to expunge investors’ meritless claims from public records of securities brokers.
- Wheel Manufacturer International Breach of Contract Claim
Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Indian corporation on claims of breach of contract involving purchase of large industrial presses.
- Investor Dispute with Limited Liability Company Manager
Represented investors in claim for securities fraud against the manager of a limited liability company and defeated the defendants’ motion to dismiss and motion for summary judgment.
- Automotive Consultant Appeal of Adverse Jurisdictional Ruling
Represented Michigan corporation and successfully obtained reversal of trial court order regarding personal jurisdiction over foreign corporation in sales commission dispute.
- Automotive Repair Shop Trademark Dispute
Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of leading automotive repair shop on claims of trademark infringement.
- Electronic Automotive Inspection Equipment Trademark Dispute
Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of leading maker of electronic-paint-thickness gauges on claims of trademark infringement and false advertising.
- Automotive Supplier Contract Dispute
Successfully defended against customer’s motion to dismiss client’s breach-of-contract claims involving supply of specially designed and manufactured tires and wheels.
- Pro Bono Breach of Contract Dispute
Represented single mother against automobile financing company and obtained judgment of dismissal on financing company’s breach-of-contract claim and favorable monetary settlement of client’s counter-claims for fraud and unjust enrichment.
- Pro Bono Representation of Credit Card Debtor
Represented credit card debtor in dispute with debt-collection company and obtained favorable settlement of dispute for less than ten percent of alleged debt.
- Credit Union Repossession Dispute
Won dismissal of breach of contract claim on behalf of secured creditor on claims of wrongful repossession.
- Convenience Store Civil Rights Dispute
Won dismissal of sex and disability discrimination claims against nationwide gas station/convenience store chain.
- American Bar Association, Securities Litigation Committee, Programming Subcommittee co-chair 2011-present; Appellate Practice Committee, Membership and Diversity Subcommittee chairperson 2009-2011; Intellectual Property Litigation Committee
- Federal Bar Association
- State Bar of Michigan
- Macomb County Bar Association
- Michigan Intellectual Property American Inn of Court
Honors + Awards
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, Business Litigation 2013
- Wayne State University Law School, magna cum laude; Wayne Law Review, Senior Note & Comment Editor/Assistant Editor; Dean's Scholar; Order of the Coif; Silver Key Certificate
Civic, Cultural + Social Activities
- Old Newsboys’ Goodfellows Fund of Detroit
- University of Michigan Alumni Association
- Federalist Society
"The Confusion Continues over Key Word Confusion," (Co-author A. Michael Palizzi), American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section, Landslide, September/October 2012
"Tuning Up the Motor City: The Viability of Restructuring Detroit's Oppressive Property Tax System within the Boundaries of Michigan's Constitution," 51 Wayne L. Rev. 1309 (2005)