- Wayne State University Law School, LL.M.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1999
- University of Michigan, B.A.
U.S. Tax Court
Kenneth J. Sachs has extensive experience with employee benefits and executive compensation business planning. He specializes in the design, implementation and administration of all types of retirement plans, both tax-qualified and non tax-qualified; welfare plans; medical plans, both self-funded and insured, and every other type of benefit provided to employees including insurance, disability, adoption assistance and more. Ken also helps companies draft agreements to compensate their key executives and employees in such areas as stock options, phantom stock agreements and other creative deferred compensation programs.
“I pride myself on always being available to my clients to help them achieve a positive result in an effective and cost-efficient manner.”
Kenneth J. Sachs
Ken also represents and advises physicians and physician organizations on tax, corporate and regulatory issues, including employment agreements, buy-sell arrangements, federal and state fraud and abuse laws and various contractual matters. He has an extensive background in HIPAA, FMLA, COBRA and other employment-related issues and benefits. In addition, Ken handles matters involving the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor and Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, and advises clients on multi-employer pension plans and withdrawal liability under the Multiemployer Pension Plan Amendments Act.
Ken has drafted numerous creative retirement plans that have consistently exceeded his clients’ expectations regarding their ability to save money on a tax-deferred basis.
- Oakland County Bar Association, Chair, Employee Benefits Committee, 2007-2008
- Great Lakes Area Tax Exempt and Government Entities Council of the Internal Revenue Service, April 2008-present
Honors + Awards
- George Washington University Law School, Recipient of the Seibel Award for Excellence in the Study of Labor and Employment Law
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Employee Benefits/ERISA Rising Star 2010-2012
- DBusiness Magazine, Top Lawyers, Employee Benefits 2012
- Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law 2013
- Walsh College, Adjunct Tax Professor
"Viva VEBA!" Hot Points, Winter 2007
"ERISA Fiduciary Update," Michigan Association of Certified Accountants Continuing Education, Utica, Michigan August 18, 2011
"Pensions and Retiree Benefits for Municipalities," (Co-Presenter with Kal Goren), 2011 Municipal Law Academy, Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys, Lansing, Michigan, March 24, 2011
"ERISA and Executive Compensation Update for Financial Professionals," Before the Bell Breakfast Forum, November 2008
"QDROs: What Every Family Lawyer Needs to Know," Oakland County Bar Association, March 2007