James Williams brings more than 35 years of experience to his role as an expert in preparing wills, trusts, prenuptial agreements and buy-sell agreements, as well as in gift and estate tax planning.
He uses this expertise to counsel his clients on making the best choices from the vast number of options available to them. Jim’s bottom-line goal is to help them transfer their assets to their beneficiaries, each of whom has their own specific needs and desires, in an efficient, secure, tax-effective manner that will not jeopardize other benefits -- tangible or intangible -- to their beneficiaries.
Jim helped a client design an estate plan that minimized estate taxes and also provided for continued family use of a vacation cottage that had been in the family for multiple generations while protecting the share of an adult child who had special needs.
- American Bar Association, Real Property and Probate Section
- State Bar of Michigan, Probate and Estate Planning Section; Family Law Section
- Oakland County Bar Association
Honors + Awards
- Best Lawyers in America, Trusts and Estates 2003-present
- DBusiness Magazine, Top Lawyers, Trusts and Estates 2011-present
Civic, Cultural + Social Activities
- Boys' and Girls' Republic, Board of Directors, 1993-present; President, 1996-97
- Roeper City and Country School, Board of Trustees, 1984-86; Vice-chairman, 1985-86
- Birmingham Community House, Board of Directors, 1976-79
“Antenuptial Agreements,” Michigan Family Law (44ed.), 1993.
Frequent speaker to groups of all sizes on estate planning and family law