- Chicago-Kent College of Law, LL.M., 2008
- Peking University Law School, LL.B., 1999
- New York
- People’s Republic of China
Amber Liu assists clients in the areas of international contracting, overseas investment, mergers & acquisitions, corporate financing transactions and general corporate matters with regard to Chinese operations and international trade.
She has several years of experience as a corporate lawyer in China, offering a full array of legal services to corporate clients, from start-ups and small businesses to national and multinational companies. Amber helps clients with issues relating to Chinese business such as entity formation, commercial contracting, intellectual property protection, product liability, etc. She also maintains relationships with Chinese lawyers and law firms as well as accounting firms and business consultants.
Amber was a co-founder of an Internet consulting company that provided services to several well-known Chinese brands while she was in China. She also worked with NGOs against illegal international timber trade and spent a month working and living with a Papau New Guinea tribe in 2006. Her pro bono work in Papau New Guinea was made into a documentary film and widely reported in the Chinese media.
- Advising multinational companies on opening, operating and selling Chinese operations; overseeing relationships with Chinese law firms and other professional service organizations.
- Assisting multinational companies with M&A transactions of Chinese companies (e.g., consulted on the HK$300 million acquisition of a local Chinese company by a HK financial institution).
- Advising Chinese companies on setting up U.S. operations and relevant IP, labor and immigration issues.
- Advising Chinese companies on seeking overseas listing (Amber previously worked with a Chinese law firm specializing in corporate finance & securities and which has done more than 150 domestic/overseas IPOs and subsequent offerings).
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating commercial contracts in a variety of industries in China.
- Advising multinational companies on franchise and intellectual property matters in China.
- Assisting with litigation matters in China (e.g., assisted an American tire sales company to settle a product liability case in China).
- Advising Chinese companies on U.S. litigation strategies (e.g., assisted a Chinese company in counterfeit goods disputes with an U.S. company).
- American Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
- China Bar Association
- Beijing Bar Association
Honors + Awards
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, LL.M., with honors, International and Comparative Law Degree
- Peking University Law School, LL.B., Inaugural editor-in-chief of Century Wind, a student journal of Peking University
"Overview Of Federal and Arizona Tax Incentives For Solar Energy Projects," Chinese Version, December 2009
"CIFUS Primer: In the Wake of the FINSA Regulations, Foreign Investors in U.S. Companies and U.S. Companies Seeking Foreign Investors Need to Be Particularly Attuned to Possible CFIUS Review," Chinese version, November 2009
"China's Unseen Industry: Protecting Yourself Against Counterfeiting," Chinese version, September 2009
Monthly Legal Column for Women's Friend, June 2007-September 2007
Monthly Legal Column for China's Digest, October 2004-October 2005
"China's Third Amendment to the Patent Law," Chicago, Illinois, October 2009
"Practicing Law in China v Practicing Law in the U.S," Chicago, Illinois, April 2009
"Doing Business in China for U.S. Attorneys," Milwaukee, Wisconsin, December 2008 and February 2009